Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shut Off From the World

This morning came abruptly when my suite mate came and woke me up to get ready for my least favorite class (Spanish). Since my phone is broke, I am not only shut off from the entire world, but i cant even set my alarm! After irritably trying to stay awake in Spanish, I had to make my way to the lovely world of Bio and take a test. This test seemed easier than the others, which made me worry. I feel as though i aced it! Choir was the typical Choir class. Weird people making noises, the old lady thinking she is funny, and us singing never before heard of Christmas music. I mean, what is wrong with the classic O Holy Night, Silent Night, and Away in a Manger? However, choir does bring back good memories of high school with some really awesome people. I just remember being able to get away with anything in that class. College choir is definitely not the same! The SGA meeting at noon was as exciting as usual. Jabber Jaws wouldn't stop flappin his mouth, and the newbie tried to take control as usual. I was the normal me, and set there with my best friend laughing at everything and trying to scarf down greasy pizza as I acted half way interested in what was going on. US History I blew by quickly and i was off to PR Principle were i learned that I had made a 92 on my news release, which was definitely an improvement from the last one. I hope to someday use this PR knowledge in a career someday. When classes were finally over, I made my way to Age to Age to mentor young Elmer. If i could, I would seriously adopt that kid. I don't think I have ever loved a kid so much. He is always a challenge as he runs back and forth, and screams no at me, but at the end of the day he is the cutest kid alive! After dropping Elmer off at his house, I made my way to church where I lead 10th grade boys. Sometimes they make me hate life. I'm suppose to be there as an example and leader, but I end up being their friend more than anything. This means they rarely listen to me. I feel as though it is my fault when they have downfalls, or when I hear them cuss, or when I overhear them talking about what they did over the weekend. These things make me feel as though I have failed as there leader.
My mom gave me a poem when I graduated that was simply and encouragement to take off to college with me. Here is a quote from that poem..."Fly on the wings of you talents and your mightiest dreams. Strive to change the world one day at a time." Why is this so hard to do? I try my hardest to make a lasting impact wherever I go, but sometimes my personal pride gets in the way of this.
God is amazing in all that He does! He has allowed a sinner like me to lead younger people, and has given me a joy for life I can't explain. He is so mysterious, but I love the mystery in Him. So as the days fly by, I will strive to be like Him and "change the world one day at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment